An independent group The Mandate Eyes has asked Governor Udom Emmanuel to intervene and save Obong Nsima Ekere from looming imminent sack from the position of Managing Director of Niger Delta Development Commission,NDDC.
This was contained in an open letter to the governor released to press men today.
Below is the open letter
AN OPEN LETTER TO GOVERNOR UDOM EMMANUEL: PLEASE INTERVENE AND SAVE NSIMA EKERE’S JOB
We are The Mandate Eyes, an independent team of like minds that is out to investigate and independently make advocacies for the development of our state.
We wish to draw your attention to the recent imbroglio surrounding the person and office of His Excellency, Mr Nsima Ekere , Managing Director of the Niger Delta Development Commission,NDDC. We recall that on December 20,2015 following the sudden sack of the then MD Barr. Bassey Dan Abia, you had pioneered a passionate appeal on the President to ensure that an Akwa Ibomite is re-appointed to complete the tenure of Akwa Ibom as Chief Executive of the board. It was your opinion that if the APC-led federal government was uncomfortable with Barr Abia because his appointment was made by the previous PDP government, that he should rather search from the few APC members in the state and choose a replacement instead of appointing a sole administrator from another state.
We are happy that your efforts and the prayers of majority of Akwa Ibom stakeholders were rewarded with the appointment of Mr Nsima Ekere as the Managing Director of NDDC six months ago.
The purpose of this letter Your Excellency, is to appeal to you to rise up as the leader of the state and save our son from the bitter political coup that has threatened him from the day of his appointment. It is obvious that because of his perceived political ambition, he has not sought wise counsel on the need to key into your unity project in the state. As a human being, we know that you may be dismayed by the simple mistakes that have kept Nsima in a self-inflicted exile.
NSIMA EKERE’S MISTAKES
- Obong Nsima Ekere has surprisingly failed to recognize you as the leader of the state, by refusing to reference you and the people of the state with an official visit since he got into office. This is clearly unfortunate especially after all the contributions and prayers from the state that led to his emergence. His party men, Umana Umana, Ben Ukpong and Ita Enang have displayed good team and brotherly spirit.
- Mr Ekere has failed to honour any event that you are billed to attend, simply because he does not wish to identify or show regards to you as the chief executive officer of his state. These events include the visit of the Acting President to the state, the burial of the Ifim Ibom Ibibio the 111, Edidem Akpabio Udo Ukpa, the conference of Pan Niger Delta Forum(PANDEF) in Uyo, and many other such events.
- Mr Ekere has also sponsored several media and non-media professionals to rain media attacks on the government and people of the state, in a bid to score cheap political points. On the social media, the print and electronic media, his media managers, handlers and hirelings fall over themselves to throw pebbles and attack your administration on a per second basis.
- Mr Nsima Ekere is busy luring members of your party, including your staunch supporters to join his campaign structure in return for contracts, and other phantom offers.
- The NDDC under Ekere has vowed to starve every contractor handling existing contracts of funds, except they also disown you and join his team for his 2019 bid; this is the story of the abandoned projects that have littered the landscape of our state.
In spite of all these, we are pleading that you should ignore and forgive Mr Ekere and intervene in his current ordeals and save his job.
THE MANY ORDEALS OF MR EKERE
- The ongoing legal crisis that has resulted in the eviction of the former Deputy Governor of Akwa Ibom state from his Ewet Housing Estate residence by AMCOM, over a N27 million naira debt.
- His poor records in the over bloated cost of newly acquired vehicles in his office.
- The shoddy and illegal advertising of contracts for ambiguous and already completed projects.
- The indictment by the Minister of Niger Delta Affairs on the substandard and uncompleted projects that have already been declared completed and paid for by the NDDC management.
- The poor state of NDDC executed projects that have left beneficiaries in worse state than they initially had been.
Your Excellency, despite his excesses, we appeal to you to wade in and safe Mr. Nsima Ekere from the unfortunate situation that he has found himself. We all know the antics of the APC to label and smear the image of our people in positions of authority so they can be blackmailed and thrown out of favour. It is in the same vein that the west-controlled APC has refused to accede to our persistent call for the relocation of oil companies to their operational areas because they see nothing good in us.
As our leader, we plead with you to forgive and pardon Nsima Ekere and save him from this predicament especially in view of his position as a former deputy governor of our state.